18 HERBS FOR MAGICAL PURPOSES
|1) Benzoin Gum:
Magical Uses: An herb of purification,
burned in incense to sanctify an area. The scent is also used to attract
business when combined with basil, peony or cinnamon.. It awakens the
conscious mind as well. Burn to purify, protect, for prosperity, for astral
projection or to increase mental powers.
2) Frankincense: Magical Uses: Sacred to the Sun God Ra, frankincense is burned in rites of exorcism, purification, and protection. It is said to accelerate spiritual growth. Rosemary may be used as a substitute. Use for spirituality, exorcism, purification, luck and protection rites. (Resin) burn for protection, exorcism, spirituality, love, consecration, blessing, energy, strength, visions, healing, meditation, power and courage. Use to purify ritual spaces and invoke a spiritual frame of mind.
3) Lavender: Magical Uses: Lavender is strewn into bonfires at Midsummer as an offering to the Gods and Goddesses. An ingredient of love spells, its scent is said to attract men. Lavender in the home brings peace, joy and healing. Use to attract love; to produce sleep by anointing your forehead and pillow; to purify by adding to baths and to promote chastity and peace. Attracts elves, burn for purification, peace. Burn at Litha as an offering. Love; Psychic Awareness; Happiness; Creative Work; Money and Business; Anointing; Exorcism; Harmony; Peace; Healing. Frees from emotional stress, brings inner calm and peace, gives increased awareness, brings stability and permanence, good for headaches.
4) Myrrh Gum: Magical Uses: Myrrh is a Goddess plant of the Moon's sphere, sacred to Isis. Burned as incense, myrrh purifies the area, lifts the vibrations aids contemplation and meditation and creates peace. However, it is seldom burned alone; usually in conjunction with frankincense or other resins. Myrrh increases the power of any incense to which it is added. Myrrh is also included in healing incenses and sachets, and its smoke is used to consecrate, purify and bless objects such as amulets, talismans, charms, and magical tools. It also aids meditation and contemplation. It is also used in healing mixtures. Guards against evil, brings peace, assists in understanding personal sorrow.
5) Oak Moss: Magical Uses: Use to attract money and can be used in some traditions for constructing poppet's.
6) Orris Root Powder: Magical Uses: The Orris root has long been used to find and hold love. The whole Orris root is carried, the powder is added to sachets, sprinkled on sheets, clothing and the body as well as around the house. Orris root powder is sometimes known as "Love Drawing Powder". Use for: Divination; Protection; Psychic Awareness. Love, sexual appeal. Use in charms, amulets, sachets, incenses and baths.
7) Peppermint: Magical Uses: This familiar scent is excellent when used for purification. Though slow-growing the results are worth the wait. Rub against furniture and walls and floorboards to cleanse them of evil and negativity. Smelled, it compels one towards sleep and placed beneath the pillow it sometimes offers one glimpses of the future in dreams. Burn as Incense for: Exorcism; Health; Healing; Lust; Money and Riches; Changes; Psychic Awareness; Purification.
8) Rosemary: Magical Uses: "Any home where rosemary thrives is a home where the mistress rules." Rosemary when burned, emits powerful cleansing and purifying vibrations, and so is smoldered to rid a place of negativity, especially prior to performing magic. It is one of the oldest incenses. Burn for protection, exorcism, purification, healing, to cause sleep, to restore or maintain youth; to bring love and to increase intellectual powers. Rosemary infusion is used to wash the hands before healing work, and the leaves mixed with juniper berries are burned in sickrooms to promote healing. Rosemary may be substituted for any other herb, in any spell or mixture. It is generally used as a substitute for Frankincense. Improve memory, sleep, purification, youth, love, power, healing, protection, intellectual.
9) Sandalwood - Red: Magical Uses: Lower grades of Sandalwood (light colored with little scent) are not recommended to use in magic. Sandalwood powder is burned during protection, healing and exorcism spells. When mixed with lavender it makes incense designed to conjure spirits. This fragrant wood possesses very high spiritual vibrations and is mixed with Frankincense and burned at sťances and Full Moon rituals. Powdered sandalwood can be scattered about a place to clear it of negativity. Sandalwood beads are protective and promote a spiritual awareness when worn. The scents of frankincense and sandalwood have some of the highest vibrations inherent in any plant. They will resonate with aspects of ourselves or with Devic/Angelic beings of the highest order. Rose is another herb held to have that frequency, thus attracting or eliciting the highest spiritual vibrations from within ourselves and the cosmos. Sandalwood is used as an incense base for: Protection; Healing; Exorcise; Spirituality; Wishes; Full Moon Esbats; Wards Negativity; Astral Projection; Reincarnation; Spirit Offering. Stimulates clairvoyance, aids in seeing past lives, healing, clearing, protection, calms the mind.
10) Sea Salt: Magical Uses: Salt is used for purification and protection, and is used to represent the element of Earth on an altar. In many rituals, salt is mixed into a chalice of water and sprinkled around the circle to seal it. Most often Sea Salt is preferred, and can be found in most supermarkets. Definitely a must have for any witch!
11) White Sage: Magical Uses: Sage absorbs negativity and misfortune. It drives away disturbances and tensions, and lifts the spirits above the mundane cars of life. Burn it to consecrate a ritual space. Carry it as an herb of protection. Use it in the ritual bath and chalice. Tradition holds that those who eat sage become immortal in both wisdom and years. Sage is used in wish manifestations and to attract money. Smolder to promote healing and spirituality. Carry to promote wisdom. Use in spells for: Protection; Wisdom; Health; Money and Riches; Spirituality. Powerful clearing and cleansing, removes negative energy.
12) Dragonís Blood: Magical Uses: Burn for love, protection, exorcism, and sexual potency. Use for Courage; Magical Power; Energy; Strength; Purification; Changes; Determination; Cleansing. A pinch of Dragon's blood added to other incenses increases their potency and power. May be dissolved in the bath for strong purification. Keep a piece under the bed to cure impotency. Carried for good luck. Widely used in love, protection and purification spells.
Substitute for: DRAGON'S BLOOD-Equal parts Frankincense and Red Sandalwood
13) Red Rose Buds: Magical Uses: The Rose is a Goddess herb belonging to Venus and the Water element. Rose is the accepted love scent. Rose buds are added to bath water to conjure a lover. Place some in a red cloth bag and pin it under your clothes. Rose hips worn as beads attract love. A tea of rosebuds drunk before sleep induces prophetic dreams. Rose petal and hips are used in healing spells and mixtures. Rose petals sprinkled around the house calm personal stress and household upheavals. Roses planted in the garden attracts fairies.
Burn as incense for : Healing; Health; Love; Luck; Creativity; Balance; Anointing; Divination; Clairvoyance; Protection; Psychic Awareness. Unconditional love, peace, harmony, tranquility.
14) Star Anise: Magical Uses: The powdered bark is used as incense. The tree is planted around temples and on graves as an herb of consecration and protection. The seeds are burned as incense to increase psychic powers, and are also worn as beads for the same purpose. Sometimes star anise is placed on the altar to give it power; one is placed to each of the four directions. It is also carried as a general luck-bringer, and the seeds make excellent pendulums. The tree is often grown near Buddhist temples where it is revered.
15) Coriander Seed: Magical Uses: Coriander oil works well in love and healing mixtures. The seeds are used for healing, especially easing headaches and are worn for this purpose. Add the powdered seeds to warm wine to make an effective lust potion. Put some in the chalice for a handfasting ritual. Incenses for longevity and love spells. Also used in love sachets and charms.
16) Sweet Annie (Wormwood): Magical Uses: The scent of wormwood is said to increase psychic powers. Burned with incenses on Samhain to aid evocation, divination, scrying and prophecy. Especially good when combined with Mugwort. Strengthens incenses for exorcism and protection. Hung from a rear-view mirror, wormwood protects vehicles from accidents on treacherous roads. Use in spells for: Binding; Psychic Awareness; Evocation; Love; Clairvoyance. Wormwood is burned to gain protection from wandering spirits. Used in divinatory and clairvoyance incenses, initiation rites and tests of courage. Enables the dead to be released from this plane so they may find peace.
17) Goldenrod: Magical Uses: Money, Divination. To see your future love, wear a piece of goldenrod. He or she will appear on the morrow. When held in the hand, the flower nods in the direction of hidden or lost objects, or where buried treasure lies. If Goldenrod springs up suddenly near the house door, unexpected good fortune will soon rain upon the family living there. Goldenrod is also used in money spells.
18) Corn Silk: Magical Uses: Divination, Luck and Protection
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR MAGICAL